Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Musical Ethnography of a Dallas Music-Culture

The Dallas music culture that I will be introducing is gospel/ church music. Those who are wondering what I mean by gospel/ church music here is a definition to enhance your understanding. Gospel music is “a highly emotional evangelical vocal music that originated among African American Christians in the southern United States and was a strong influence in the development of soul music.” I choose this music culture because I enjoy music that involves emotions and praise. When you are in church it’s the one place you can be yourself and express devotion. This music culture is special in my opinion because it teaches, blesses, and gives hope while enjoying the music of the culture. For my readers who may not know what church is here is my definition. Church is a public place of worship to God in such is held in a building. I first thought of this Dallas music culture when driving by a church Sunday morning headed to the store. I recalled all the wonderful times I had as a child in church and decide its time to get back involved with this Dallas music culture.

Some ideas about my Dallas music culture are that it’s a form of praise to God through music which is also song. The function of music for this Dallas music culture can be considered as folk music. I state this because the music is sometimes played by amateurs from the community but in some cases the performers are professional because they play instruments for a living. Race, ethnicity, gender, region, and religion do play a role in who participates in this Dallas music culture. Most of the people in this music culture are consider christens but anyone who believes can be apart of this music culture. The gospel/ church music culture is based on religion. My short suggestion of religion is your belief in a higher God. When researched it states that religion is, “a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.” The type of music played in this music culture is gospel. There are also musical instruments in this culture like the, tambourine, piano, drums, and sometimes the guitar. For those who are reading and interested in where you can find church instruments here are a few listings; toy stores or super centers such as Target and Wal-Mart, sometimes at a warehouse, and online. Depending on the church and its economic status, you can even by instruments at church or a bible to read in your alone time. Some people just use clapping their hands as a form of music and praise. All of these instruments are played in church to give praise to the Lord with fine sound. In this musical culture it is said to come as you are but older women believe that you should dress business causal in a way. A nice loose fitting dress with some socking is okay to me. I think if it’s something you have to guess about, maybe it’s inappropriate. Being an audience member in Prestonwood Baptist Church and Greater El Bethel church of God and Christ I found that the heart of gospel music is found in a person but mostly the children of the church. To see a child with so much heart stand and sing for something greater bring tears of joy which I believe is beautiful. I think that there beliefs are in God but more as singing to praise not just singing. There music is a form praise to rejoice to the Lord. I noticed that in church more women tend to just jump up in sing that man do. I guess it’s a gender thing but at this point I am not sure. The music is transmitted from one person to another because you all just get this feeling inside that makes you want to participate. Also the gospel songs that are sung are general songs that are sung every Sunday so that most new and old church members will already know the songs. Music found in the church that I attend does have lyrics but sung in many different ways, things such as the pitch changes, different harmony, or changing phrases do to how you praise. I find it very interesting; especially in the way people choose what kind of gospel to sing in church.

Throughout this experiment I collected data based off of my involvement in church, questions to those at church who I know that knew God, and research about gospel/ church. My music culture is found in church, professional gospel events, and in movies sometimes. All the music in this Dallas music culture doesn’t have to have actual lyrics. It’s whatever you feel in your heart and soul. One thing I noticed about this culture is that the churches come in different shapes and sizes but also range from high to low income statuses. Before I end this paper I would like to state how easy going and helpful this Dallas music culture is as a whole. For example, when I attended an African American church it was common that you go out to eat with church friends after. I enjoyed this because it gives you time to talk about church, personal experiences, and laugh so that at the end of the day you feel wiser. Now that you know about my Dallas music culture I will end this research paper by saying, I enjoyed this assignment, thanks for taking the time to read it and have a fantastic day.

Sources • Modern Language Association (MLA): "religion." Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 05 Mar. 2010. . • Prestonwood Baptist Church (Went to the above church to be apart of the audience and interview.) • Greater El Bethel Church of God and Christ (Went to the above church to be apart of the audience and interview.)

Some Interview questions 1.Who all can participate in this culture? 2.What are some beliefs in the gospel/ church music? 3.Who participates in the audience and music? 4.Does music have to have lyrics? 5.What instruments are played in this music culture? 6.Where can I buy a bible or church instrument?

No comments:

Post a Comment